Driving your Car in Europe post Brexit


Our Private Car Insurance Policies (i.e. any policy number with the prefix PC, PM or FM) cover incidents involving the insured vehicle that occur in the following countries:

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

If the UK leaves the EU on 31 January 2020 without a Withdrawal Agreement in place, and in the absence of a specific agreement to the contrary, you will need to ensure that you carry an International Motor Insurance Card document (also known as a Green Card) while driving your vehicle in any of these countries.

Until now, your Certificate of Motor Insurance has confirmed the cover evidenced by a Green Card but this will no longer be acceptable and it will be a legal requirement to carry a physical Green Card. Failure to do so could result in you being accused of driving without insurance and you may be subject to a fine, having your vehicle seized or prosecution.

Should you require a Green Card, please contact us 10 working days before you travel so that we can post the relevant document to you. Please contact Member Services -

•      by telephone on 01872 277151, or

•      via e-mail at AskUs@cornishmutual.co.uk.

We strongly recommend that, before leaving the UK, you investigate what other documents you may need to ensure that you are fully compliant with European requirements. Further information is available at - www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit