Tailored, cost-effective health & safety advice

Farming is one of the UK’s most dangerous jobs, posing risks to the health and safety of you and your employees as well as any contractors or visitors on your land.
Having health and safety policies in place is central to reducing risks and avoiding accidents as well as demonstrating compliance.
Our specialist in-house Farm Health and Safety Advisors provide tailored, practical support on an on-going basis that helps you put a health and safety system in place and meet legal requirements. This safeguards you, your family, employees and your business, allowing you to rest assured your farm is as safe as it can be.

Our Farm Health & Safety service provides:

  • Full audit of your farm with detailed risk assessment and easy-to-use action plan tailored to your specific business, including annual review & updates
  • Regular visits from our specialist team as and when required, providing hands-on advice, assistance and the answers you need, whenever you need them
  • Comprehensive documentation including policies & procedures, COSHH, asbestos, competent contractors, employee safety, machinery and equipment records, inspection checklists, electrical inspections, and emergency plans
  • Regular updates on new or changing HSE legislation helping you to stay informed and compliant at all times
  • Direct support and guidance on what needs to be reported and how, including the reporting of injuries and other RIDDOR incidents to the HSE on your behalf

To find out more about our Farm Health and Safety service, email Lossprevention@cornishmutual.co.uk, call 01872 246175 or speak to your local Field Insurance Advisor.

Frequently asked questions

Am I required by law to keep any written Health and Safety documentation if I employ less than 5 people?

There is no legal requirement for a business that employs fewer than 5 people to hold written Health and Safety documentation, but there is an increasing demand from assurance schemes, retailers and supermarkets to hold documentation and adopt safe working practices, no matter how many employees you have.

What classes as an "employee"?

An “employee” does not have to be employed on a full or part-time basis. The term means an individual who enters into or works under a contract of service or apprenticeship with an employer, whether by way of manual labour, clerical work or otherwise, whether this contract is expressed or implied, oral or in writing. It is worth noting that money does not have to exchange hands - it can also be unpaid help.

How much will the Cornish Mutual Health and Safety Service cost?

While this is dependant on the size of your farm and enterprise within it, the starting point for our Farm Health & Safety Service is £550 + VAT per annum. 

Taw River Dairy owners sat outside store front

Real Food Heroes

Trink Dairy

More of us are now looking for food that is local and sustainably produced, and down here in Cornwall, we are fortunate to be surrounded by a number of farms and high quality food and drink producers. Find Out More

Latest News

13 Jun

Local students awarded Cornish Mutual Young Farmer Bursaries (1)

Six agricultural students in the South West have been awarded Cornish Mutual Young Farmer Bursaries, with one of them also winning the prestigious Cornish Mutual South West Agricultural Student of the Year award.
Read More

Upcoming Events