Frequently Asked Questions


We understand that insurance can be a complicated subject to get your head around. To help you, we've put together some of the most common questions that we get asked.

We are always happy to hear from you, so if we can help in any way at all, please do get in touch or use our 'call me back' service.

Do items and equipment on farms need to be locked away for the theft cover to apply?

We realise that it is not practical to keep all your items and equipment under lock and key at all times. So although we would always recommend that you store equipment securely, your insurance cover will still apply even if items and equipment are not locked away. The exception to this is if we have made a specific requirement in writing to you and placed an endorsement on your insurance policy.

Do I need to insure all my livestock against fire/lightning as they would not all be killed at the same time?

Yes. The total value of livestock is a measure of the overall risk although we recognise that it is highly unlikely that all livestock would be killed at the same time – this is reflected in the price we charge.

Do I need third party cover in my own farm lane or yard?

The Road Traffic Act definition of a public road is fairly wide and often changes! It can, in certain circumstances, extend to farm lanes and yards, footpaths, bridleways and cycle tracks, as well as many farm lanes and drive ways on private land. So it is recommended that you have the relevant insurance cover.

Do I need Employers’ Liability cover as I only employ members of my immediate family?

The law does not require Employers Liability insurance for members of your immediate family who work for you. However, your family members are likely to be exposed to the same type of risks as would apply to non-relatives so we always encourage our Members to take out Employers’ Liability.

Do I need a cover note if I change a vehicle on my fleet policy?

The Fleet certificate will cover any vehicles changed by the policy holder. However, we do need you to tell us about any changes, so we can make sure the Motor Insurance Database is informed.

Do Cornish Mutual do life/pensions/critical illness cover?

No, we focus on non–life insurance.

Can I protect my No Claims Discount?

Yes if you are insuring on a private motor policy but there are pre-qualifying conditions like being claim free for a period and paying an additional premium.  You can protect full No Claims Discount, provided you do not have more than 2 claims in any 5 year period.

Can I pay by direct debit or credit card?

Yes you can, direct debit provides a monthly instalment facility which in the first year of use is based upon a 20% deposit paid by cheque or credit card followed by 9 equal monthly instalments.

In subsequent years the direct debit is based on 10 equal monthly instalments. The direct debit facility is charged at 3% on the initial balance. Credit card payment can be used for the annual premium.