Frequently Asked Questions


We understand that insurance can be a complicated subject to get your head around. To help you, we've put together some of the most common questions that we get asked.

We are always happy to hear from you, so if we can help in any way at all, please do get in touch or use our 'call me back' service.

If I insure with Cornish Mutual will you put up the premiums after I become a Member?

Cornish Mutual is committed to keeping premium rates as consistent as possible from year to year reflecting individual exposures and claims experience.

I've paid the excess to the repairer of my damaged car. As the accident was not my fault will I be reimbursed?

If there is more than a 50% likelihood that you were not responsible for the accident, we will encourage your Legal Expenses Insurer – cover which is automatically provided in every Cornish Mutual Motor Policy – to seek recovery of your excess and any other reasonable expenses you have incurred from the negligent party.

I've been asked to use my tractor to tow a float at our local carnival. Am I covered under my Agricultural Vehicle Policy?

You need to discuss extending your insurance with us. Please call Member Services on 0345 017 5513 (local rate call). The standard Agricultural Vehicle Policy does not provide for activities outside of the business you advised us of when you took out the insurance.

I'd not heard of Cornish Mutual until recently, is it a new company?

We are a well-established insurance company that was set up in 1903.  So we have over 110 years’ experience of insurance services in the South West and we provide insurance to homes, farms and businesses in the rural communities of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset. We are still true to our original ethos of making sure our customers have the right protection for their needs and know where they stand with us. This means that if they are unfortunate enough to have to make an insurance claim, they know we’ll be there for them.

I let some of my farm buildings/land to local horse owners. Does my farm liability Policy provide cover for such diversification?

It depends upon the circumstances. Please call our Member Services Team on 0345 017 5513 to find out more.

I have a part-time worker who is self employed. Do I need Employers’ Liability cover for them?

Yes. The policy definition of an Employee includes self employed people, employed for labour, while working for you in connection with the business.

I employ someone to help around the house/garden. Does my Home insurance Policy provide Employers' Liability cover?

Yes, if you have Home Contents Insurance.  In this case, the Occupiers and Personal Liability section of your home insurance Policy covers your legal liability as an employer of any domestic employee, subject to the terms and exclusions of the insurance policy.

How many offices do you have and where are they?

We have one Head Office in Truro. We also occupy a number of offices at agricultural markets which Members of our Field Force attend weekly. Our local Field Force are based throughout Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset.